Olalla is an unincorporated community in Kitsap County, located in south Kitsap Peninsula. It is nestled in one of the most scenic areas in the region, as its waterfront location offers sweeping views of Olalla Bay, Vashon Island, and Puget Sound. Its name is taken from the Chinook term “olallie,” which means “place of many berries.”
Since the late 1800s, Olalla has served as one of Kitsap County’s busiest commerce hubs. In the past, the community’s old town port along the shores of Olalla lagoon was filled with business establishments. Shipping and transportation played a key role in Olalla’s economy back then, as the community’s own “mosquito fleet” or ferrying system was very busy transporting passengers as well as various goods and materials.
Today, the community offers a laidback country lifestyle in a picturesque setting surrounded by thick forests, tranquil streams, and country roads with views of Puget Sound. Those who love outdoor activities will find a wide range of fun activities to enjoy right here, including horseback riding, kayaking, beachcombing, and many more.
Real estate options and homes for sale in Olalla, WA
Buyers searching for their dream home in Olalla will be able to find a diverse variety of excellent real estate options. Homes in the area are available in different sizes and architectural styles, including traditional, Georgian, ranch, storybook, craftsman, and more.
Many of the homes you’ll find rest on large lots and are surrounded by panoramic views of rolling hills, wide open space, or the serene waters of Puget Sound. Those looking forward to a relaxing indoor-outdoor lifestyle will find many homes that take full advantage of the gorgeous surroundings, with features such as wraparound sundecks, balconies, patios, and oversized windows.
For those thinking about building a custom home of their dreams, Olalla has plenty of vacant lots and land available for sale.
Activities and destinations in Olalla, WA
- Go beachcombing at Anderson Point Park, which features a long sandy beach where you’ll be able to find beach glass, oysters, moon snails, sea shells, clams, and many more.
- Banner Forest is a very popular destination for adventure seekers of all ages. The forest features an extensive network of trails perfect for hiking, biking, trail running, or horseback riding.
- Soak in the views and explore more than 370 miles of coastline by going on a sea kayaking trip. Paddling along the Kitsap Peninsula is an adventure unlike any other, where views of lush forests with soaring pine trees transition into charming harbor towns filled with shops and restaurants.
- Take a trip to the scenic Olalla Valley Vineyard and Winery, which overlooks Puget Sound, Olalla Bay, and Vashon Island. Their elegant, vintage-style tasting room is a great place to sample wines, and is available for private gatherings, parties, wedding receptions, and other events.
- Want to shop for local crafts and produce? Drop by the Olalla Valley Farmers Market right next to the Olalla Bible Church! The farmers market is typically open from mid-April until October.
Ready to start your search for the ideal home in the beautiful community of Olalla? Get in touch with us by calling 360-566-2195, or send an email to Homes@JBRealtorTeam.com. You can also leave us a message by visiting this page.